Posted by Hastings High School Office on 1/22/2019
WIN Zones and Survey - Today students will be in their homebase WIN zones. Also, students who may be struggling to reply to the WIN preference survey, please make sure that you are logged out of all other emails except your Hastings school email.
Winterfest Spirit Week Days Winterfest is upon us next week already! Here are our Spirit Days for next week: Mon. Jan. 28 - Favorite Subject Color Day (Math = Blue, Science = Green, Spanish = Red, History = Purple, English = Yellow, The Arts = Black) Tue. Jan. 29 - Ugly Sweater Wed. Jan. 30 - On Wednesdays We Wear Pink Thur. Jan. 31 – Flannel Fri. Feb. 1 - Winterfest Theme T-shirt.
Winterfest Theme Shirts - This year's Winterfest theme is going to be suicide prevention and awareness. T-shirts are available now in both A and B lunches. The deadline for buying a t-shirt will be Wednesday, January 23. Short sleeves will be $12.00 and long sleeves will be $15.00. All proceeds will be donated toward an organization that focuses on suicide prevention. Don't wait, get yours today at lunch! (1/23)
Snowball Dance - The Snowball dance is right around the corner. The dance will be held in the gym on February 2nd from 8-11p. Tickets will be sold for $10 starting January 28th during lunch and after school in the office or Mr. Hayward's room (B 115). If you need help paying for tickets, please see Mrs. Longstreet. (1/31)
Student Sports Survey - Attention all students: you have already received in your school email a very short High School Sports Survey. Mr. Goggins is asking all of you to take just a 2-3 minutes of your time to answer questions pertaining to your participation (or lack of) in High School sports. This information will be used to help improve our Athletic Department, so your opinions are important. Even if you have never participated in a HS sport, please take a minute to tell us why! The Survey will be open for you to take until Tuesday, January 22nd. Thanks for helping us out! (1/22)
Athletics - Freshman Boys Basketball won 43-35 at Comstock. Leading the way in scoring was Joey McLean with 11 points including three 3-pointers. Also contributing was James Gerber with 10 points that included two clutch free throws down the stretch.
- The JV Boys Basketball team was defeated by Comstock last night by the score of 52 to 45. Scoring for the Saxons was Carter Hewitt and Braden Vertalka with 17 points each.
Clubs and Organizations - The Ski Club will be traveling to Bittersweet this Friday, January 25th. If you are a Ski Club member and would like to go, you need to pay for your bus ticket by noon on Wednesday. You may turn your money into Mrs. Beemer. Bus tickets cost $5.00. (1/23)
Student Services - For students who took the ASVAB, there will be a test interpretation on Monday, Feb. 4, at 8 a.m., in the library.
- Students interested in signing up for Credit Recovery during second semester may pick up information from Mrs. Collins in Student Services. Credit Recovery will run most Mondays through Thursdays from now until the end of the school year. It will take place in the high school library from 3-5 p.m. (2/8)
WIN TIME VISIT - A representative from University of Northwestern Ohio will be here on Tuesday, Jan. 22, during WIN Time. Students interested in learning more about robotics, AG, racing, diesel and auto need to sign up to attend this informational meeting by 8:45 a.m. the day of the visit. (1/22)
College Visit Days - Hope College is hosting a Visit Day on Monday, January 21, and Friday, January 25. Visit Days are designed to offer a comprehensive look at their academic programs, off-campus studies and student life. Go to hope.edu/admissions/visit/visit-days.html to register for a visit. (1/21)(1/25)
- Hillsdale College is hosting a Visit Day on Sunday, Jan. 27. Visitors will meet other prospective students, tour campus, interact with faculty, staff, and current students, and learn more about academic programs, financial aid and student life. Register online at Hillsdale.edu/visit. (1/21)
- Saginaw Valley State University is hosting a Cardinal College Day on Saturday, Jan. 26, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Reserve your spot by calling 989-964-4200 or go.svsu.edu > click Visit. (1/27)
SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION (Scholarships will be listed on announcements for two weeks. After two weeks the information will continue to be available in the Scholarship Drawer in the Counseling Center until the application deadline.)
- A great scholarship site for seniors is Scholly, which is an app that helps you find personalized scholarships and proofreads your scholarship essays, too! Stop by Student Services for the account instructions and access code - you must use our access code to use the app for free.
- The MEA Scholarship is available for dependents of MEA members or MEA-Retired members in good standing and who will be attending a Michigan public community/junior college, four-year degree-granting institution or vocational training institute that grants a degree, certification or license. Applications and supporting documents must be in the MEA possession no later than Feb. 21, 2019. (1/25)
Upcoming Events - Jan. 26 - Science Olympiad to Haslett - Jan. 28 - Feb. 1 - Winterfest Week - Jan. 31 - Coffee with the Principal, 6:30pm at HS Library - Feb. 2 - Snowball Dance, 8pm-11pm at HS Gym - Feb. 2 - Science Olympiad to West Ottawa - Feb. 2 - MSVMA Solo and Ensemble - Feb. 9 - Science Olympiad to Frankenmuth - Feb. 10 - HS/MS Music Program Pre-Festival Gala - Feb. 11 - MSVMA Choral Festival - Feb. 13 - Count Day *Attendance is important!* - Feb. 18 - No School / Midwinter Break - Feb. 20 - Blood Drive - Feb. 23 - Science Olympiad to Allendale - Feb. 24 - Paint Party Fundraiser to benefit Senior Class Party