In 1877 five students were the first graduates from Hastings High School. The current Hastings Middle School, which was constructed in 1916, served as the high school until 1970. The present Hastings High School was opened on September 3, 1970. The school contains one hundred thirty-two rooms including a gymnasium, library, cafeteria, and lecture hall.
At the time of its opening, funds were approved to put all academic classrooms on a twenty-five to one pupil/teacher ratio. This was a major educational accomplishment not achieved by too many Michigan districts at that time.
More information about the history of the Hastings Area Schools may be found under Hastings School History at the Barry County Historical Society.